About the Department
VCU Department of Biochemistry:
The Medical College of Virginia (MCV) was founded December 1, 1837, when the trustees of Hampden-Sydney College, encouraged to do so by Richmond physicians, created a Medical Department in that city. Although loosely affiliated with a college, MCV was typical of many proprietary American medical schools in the 19th and early 20th century. It was governed by its faculty, all medical practitioners. Student fees provided all of the school’s income. The Egyptian Building was built to house MCV in 1845.